Saturday, April 3, 2021

The tallest and biggest volume trees in the world are both in California


First of all, who knew there were so many tall trees in Tasmania?  Watch this video, and you'll see what I mean.  But the tallest trees, the California or coast redwoods, top out at 389 feet tall.  Four of the five tallest species of trees are native here, though not the tallest in every species is in California.  The General Sherman giant sequoia is the biggest tree, by total mass, at over 51,000 cubic feet.  

In 2000, after meeting activist Julia Butterfly Hill, and reading her book, The Legacy of Luna, about spending a couple years living in a redwood tree to keep it from being cut down, I went to see the redwoods.  That trip was one of the best weeks of my life, and though I didn't get quite to the tall trees grove, where the absolute tallest trees live, I spent three days driving and hiking among the giant redwoods.  I know it's cliche', but photos just can't show how huge those trees are.  I highy recommend seeing the redwoods at some point in your life.  Wandering among living things that are over 300-350 feet high, and 1,000 to 2,000 years old, is a bucket list experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Monterey Bay Aquarium

Here's a short, 3 1/2 minute video, showing some of the Monterey Bay Aquarium, by David Hill Photography.  This give you a quick, and we...